Module 2 - Let's Take a Look at Globalization
"There is no longer any such thing as a purely national economy. The rest of the world is just too big to ignore, either as a market or as a competitor."
John Young, CEO, Hewlett-Packard
Overview: What is globalization? How does it impact you, your future? In this module you will explore the emergence of globalization both historically as well as with an eye to the future. We will discuss the impact of globalization on individuals, communities, societies, and cultures. You will be asked to take a stance on the globalization debate and share your viewpoint based on research on the topic of globalization. We will also be reading and discussing excerpts from the book The World is Flat by Thomas Friedman in order to gain a broader understanding of globalization.
Assignments & Projects:
- Introduction to Globalization - Team Roundabout Activity
- The World is Flat, selected readings
- NPR Interview with Tom Friedman, author of The World is Flat
- To access the interview, click the link below. Look to the right side of your screen, under my playlist and click "Listen", the interview will begin. STOP at 19:43 and BEGIN AGAIN at 34:38 to end. Please take notes as you go. TIP: Split the screen between the interview and the Discussion Questions Handout. Please be prepared to discuss your thoughts.
- NPR Interview
- NPR Interview with Tom Friedman - Discussion Questions Handout
- The Great Globalization Debate - Initial Research and Issue Analysis
- The Great Globalization Debate
- Learning Reflection Paper
- Weekly International News Assignment